Buckwheat is a nutrient-rich whole grain that is high in magnesium and can play a role in controlling blood sugar levels. The fiber in buckwheat aids in digestion and may improve cholesterol levels. This yummy dish is extremely nutritious and you can add as many veggies to it as you would like.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 cup buckwheat or kasha
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 small handful of green beans, chopped
- 1 yellow crookneck or patty pan squash, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- Dry-roast buckwheat in a 350° F oven for 5-10 minutes or until it's nutty and golden brown. Shake the tray once or twice to make sure the grain is roasting evenly.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Slowly add the buckwheat and let the water return to a boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer.
- Add beans and squash to the grain after it has cooked 10 minutes.
- Continue cooking 10 more minutes.
- Stir in sunflower seeds, fluff, and serve.
- Try green zucchini or snow peas instead of green beans.
- Try pumpkin or other seeds in place of sunflower seeds.
Crunchy Mama Tip:
Cooking requires a lot of clean up. Clean your dishes using a zero waste, non-toxic dish soap with a delicious lemon scent!