Vegan Turmeric Pancake
This turmeric pancake recipe (same batter can be used to make waffles too) is a great way to pack in some extra antioxidants with inflammatory reducing turmeric. These pancakes can be loaded with all sorts of toppings, but coconut yogurt, hemp seeds, unsweetened coconut flakes and fresh apricots are crowd favorites. Enjoy this enhanced pancake recipe!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 cup plant based milk (I like to use almond milk)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp organic rolled oats
- 2 tbsp wheat germ
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 piece peeled organic turmeric root
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp coconut for the batter
- coconut oil or avocado oil for the pan
- In a blender, milk, coconut oil, sugar, salt, oats, wheat germ, vanilla and turmeric root. Blend until smooth. Add baking soda, baking powder and flour, blend or whisk until batter is even and smooth.
- Heat a lightly oiled (coconut or avocado) griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot. You can also add the batter to a waffle maker.
Garnish Options: cinnamon (can also be added to the batter), sliced bananas, sliced strawberries, blueberries or apricots, jam, maple syrup, yogurt. Sprinkle with hemp seeds and/or shredded coconut.
Crunchy Mama Tip:
Mix in pieces of Elements Truffles Orange Quinoa with Turmeric Chocolate Bar for extra flavor and an added sweetness. Cut the bar into pieces and add to the batter once on the griddle. Also add in some liquid supplements with a Vitamin D, Omega 3, and Vitamin K2 dropper for extra nutrients. You can put this into the blender with the rest of the ingredients.
Credit: Wanda Malhotra